RE: ORGLIST: NaH/DMF reaction Hazards

From: "Ismail, Fyaz" <F.M.Ismail>
Subject: RE: ORGLIST: NaH/DMF reaction Hazards
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:42:15 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

As pointed out, such reactions are highly unpredictable So extreme caution is required. When used with DMF, NaH has the propensity to ignite spontaneously, so much so that fires on scale up led to investigations into the optimal method of extinguishing them [1]. Students are always advised to carefully read the literature and consult the MSDS sheets before undertaking a reaction unknown to them.

Whilst undertaking a Monsanto Fellowship at Reading (1989-1991), I witnessed the almost complete destruction of a laboratory due to such an explosion that was followed by a raging fire. The most memorable part of the incident was the firemen throwing out a flaming IR spectrometer out of the top floor window which, much to the disappointment of the crowd in the car park, narrowly missed the then head of Departments BMW. Subsequently, a reinforced area on the roof of the building was used to try such reactions albeit on a small scale.

Fyaz M. D. Ismail, B.Sc, Ph.D.

Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry

Liverpool,

U.K.

References

[1] Fluegeman, C.; Hilton, T.; Moder, K.P.; Stankovich, R. Proc. Safety Prog. 2005, 24, 86-90.