Re: ORGLIST problems with Friedel Craft reaction

From: Alok Shaurya <alokv2.0>
Subject: Re: ORGLIST problems with Friedel Craft reaction
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:35:41 +0530
Dear all,

Thank you for your replies.

Graham, I think you have a valid point. Last succesful experiment was a month ago, when it was summer at its full. Now that monsoons have hit India, and I am at the edge of Bay of Bengal, which was under a cyclone just days ago, the humidity in air sure must have increased. This must degrade the AlCl3 much faster (Its an old bottle too). Also the AlCl3 I have is not completely like a powder. It has lumps (small though). I checked wikipedia and I saw that pure AlCl3 is white while mine has greenish tinge. I take it that it has absorbed lot of moisture. DCM, that I am, using was dried with CaH overnight and distilled so I doubt that there is problem there, but I will check it too.

Dr. Ismail, sublimation might not be possible for me right now (It was my first clue too). Although I want to do it (I have never done sublimation), but since AlCl3 is corrosive, PhD students in my lab are not for it (I am just a third year int. master students). We have ordered fresh AlCl3. But your last reference is really cool. There is a microwave in a lab I know. Its fast (only 5 mins :D) and seems simple. I will give it a try. I want to synthesize 1,1`-diacetyl ferrocene. I guess I will increase the concentration of phosphoric acid. I will update the results.

Thank you all once again.